If you want to make your home more livable, and potentially more valuable, you need to plan your improvement projects carefully. Unless you are independently wealthy, there are only so many home improvement dollars to go around, and you need to make every one of those dollars work as hard as possible.
Some home improvement projects offer more bang for the buck than others, and choosing the most cost-effective improvements can be good for your family and the house you live in. Here are 25 great improvement projects your home, and your wallet, will thank you for.
1. Finish the basement – Sprucing up the lower level of your home can essentially double the living space in your house while giving your growing family space to spread out.
2. Update the patio – With a few simple upgrades, you can turn your humble patio into an outdoor kitchen, an open-air party venue or both.
3. Organize your closets – You could double the storage space in your closets with a self-install organization system, like this one, so everything will be in its place.
4. Build in more storage – Built-in storage shelves can fix your clutter problem and make your home more comfortable.
5. Reorganize the living room – There is more to the living room than watching TV; with a little creative furniture moving, you can turn the space into a place for conversation and family fun.
6. Add a kitchen island – A spacious island in the middle of the kitchen can make your meal prep easier, and you do not have to remodel the entire room to add one. This standalone kitchen upgrade is a great way to enhance the beauty and usefulness of your home.
7. Transform the bedroom into a romantic oasis – If you want more romance in your life, start with the bedroom. From repainting the walls to installing dimmer switches on the lights, there are lots of things you can do to ramp up the romance.
8. Switch to LED lights – Converting your entire home to LED lighting is a great way to lower your utility bills and make your home look its best and brightest.
9. Spruce up the front door – The front door is the first thing visitors see, so make sure that first impression is a good one. A fresh coat of paint on the front door or a stylish wreath can give your home a whole new look.
10. Line the front walkway with solar lights – Good lighting is important for your post-dark visitors, so light the way with a line of solar lights. You will not need any wires – just the abundant rays of the sun.
11. Add a hot tub or swim spa – If you crave a pool but hate the upkeep and expense, a hot tub or swim spa could be the next best thing. Hot tubs and spas take up far less space, are much less expensive and cost little to maintain.
12. Make your walls look great with new outlet covers and light switch plates – New outlet covers and light switch plates cost only a few dollars, but they can transform the look of every room you put them in.
13. Add some greenery – Bringing the beauty of nature indoors is a great way to enhance your home and make your indoor living space look its best. Those lush green plants will even clean the air, so you can breathe easier every time you step inside.
14. Upgrade your mailbox – It is time to show your mailbox some love, so add a planter, fly the flag proudly or find other ways to make your humble mailbox look its best.
15. Start a hallway photo gallery – You have lots of family photographs, so show off your favorite shots with a home art gallery. You can put your photo gallery any place you want, but the hallway is always a great choice.
16. Enhance your landscape – Curb appeal is important, even if you do not plan to sell your home. You will be surprised at the difference a few shrubs and shade trees can make.
17. Add a stencil to your walls – If you do not have time to paint, a stenciled border can give your rooms a bright new look, all without putting down a drop cloth or picking up a paintbrush.
18. Put a new face on your old cabinets – You do not have to spend thousands of dollars on new cabinets, not when a little paint and some new hardware can transform the way they look. Something as simple as some new door pulls can make a world of difference, all for a fraction of brand new cabinets.
19. Give your floors a new look with stylish throw rugs – You do not have to invest in new floors. Cover up the floors you have with some great looking throw rugs.
20. Invest in new window treatments – A set of new blinds or curtains can transform the look of any room. For a few hundred dollars, you can add beautiful new window treatments to every room in your home.
21. Install new faucet fixtures – A new set of kitchen or bathroom faucets can make your tired old rooms look new again. Whether you choose the timeless beauty of brass or the modern touch of brushed metal or stainless steel, you will love the way your rooms look.
22. Replace your shower head – If you want an upgrade you can enjoy every morning, just replace your shower head with a newer and better model. You will appreciate the difference every time you turn on the water.
23. Go tankless – If you are tired of high utility bills, it may be time to go tankless. A tankless hot water heater uses a fraction of the energy or a traditional model, so you do not have to sacrifice hot showers to save money.
25. Light things up with wall sconces. A pair of wall sconces will enhance your front door, while hall-mounted lights will light up that dark foreboding pathway.
You do not have to break the bank or go in debt to upgrade your home and make your property look like a million bucks. The 25 simple ideas listed above can help you upgrade your home for less, so you can treat your family right and still have money left over for a great vacation